Madurai Airport (IATA: IXM, ICAO: VOMD) is a customs airport serving Madurai, in the state of Tamil Nadu, India.The airport is located about 12 km (7.5 mi) from the Madurai railway station. The airport was established in 1957.
- A 17,600 Sq.m New Integrated terminal building was inaugurated recently which is the second largest terminal in Tamilnadu,next to Chennai.
- Seating Capacity : 250 + 250
- Check-In Counters : 27 + 9
- Immigration Counters : 20
- Baggage Conveyors : 3 + 1
- CISF staff Strength : 105+
- Aero-bridges : 3
- Apron : 6
- Parking Lot : 7 Parellel
- Taxiway : 2
- Runway : 7500 ft.
- ILS : Available
- Firestation : 5 firefighters including 3 Brand New ROSEN BAUER highly advanced Firefighters
- Fuel-stations : Reliance & IOCL tanks
- Cargo/Frieght handling : Available.
Madurai airport has a strong Domestic network and handles 43000 passengers per month on an average. It has direct connectivity with major indian cities such as Chennai, Bangalore, Mumbai,New Delhi & Hyderabad. A Public demand is there for Ahmedabad, Kolkatta, Pune, Jaipur, Cochin and Tirupati in domestic-side and Dubai, Singapore, Kualalampur, Colombo, Kuwait, Muscat, Abu dhabhi, Sharjah, Doha, Jeddah and Maldives in International destinations. Connections to France, Germany, US, UK and Japan are feasible with One stop-over at any Metros like Chennai/Mumbai.
A Huge demand is there for above mentioned destinations from Madurai & its Hinterland. Madurai Hinterland includes 10 districts: 1. Madurai 2. Ramnad 3. Sivaganga 4. Virudhunagar 5. Theni 6. Dindigul 7. Tirunelveli 8. Tuticorin 9. Some parts of Pudukottai 10.Some parts of Kanyakumari.
Five Operators operate daily flights from Madurai. They are Spicejet, Paramount airways, Indian Airlines, Jet airways and Kingfisher airlines. International operators such as Srilankan airlines, Air Asia, Air Arabia,Air India Express and Silk air are expected to start their operations to Various International destinations from Madurai shortly. More than 10 airlines have evinced interest in operating to Madurai.